Saturday, June 18, 2005

#2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys,

Welcome to another edition of Music is Now! The Blog that keep you informed on the best in upcoming music. Today I'd like to focus on the midwest music scene, since I go to school at BGSU I'm pretty familiar with it so I'll spend some time on it.

Now if your familiar with the Midwest Music scene you might now of some amazing bands already such as Stylex, Thunderbirds are Now!, Javelins, and many others. In the indie seen I feel there a few other names you should keep your eye one, just from around Bowling Green is a real awesome band called bullet teeth who can sometimes come off similar to the blood brothers, they put on a eccentric live show that i'm sure anyone can enjoy. I mentioned Javlelins before, they are on a music label called Suburban Sprawl records, their whole roster is pretty good which includes El Boxeo, The Recital, and The Pop Project. Then there is my ol' buddys justin band Treysuno who taught me how fun theremins can be, they don't play around much anymore but when they do it's worth checking out if your big into bands like The Detachment Kit, check them out. Of course I know you Devo fans already probably listen to Stylex and Thunderbirds are now! but you should also check Canadas Electric Tiger Machine with it's angular electronic delivery that's sure to put a smile over your face. Some other names that you should familiarize yourself with Clive Staples, Chalk, Otto Vector, Rediscover, and The Flirting Kind.

On the not so indie/electronic side you probably pretty familiar with bands like Hawthorne Heights, Fall Out Boy who've recently broken from the midwest. Well in that vein as in most scenes there is a flood of similar bands but of course there is always those that stand out. My personal favorites are Medford Drive and The Drama Summer, check them out as they might fit your fancy if you a fan of the before mentioned bands. I love to dance which why definetley my call for the next band to break big from the midwest is The Fury, currently on tour with Head Automatica and I am the Avalanche (ex-movielife), they are one of the most danciest, fun and unique bands around don't miss out on the Fury, or you'll later regret it.

I'll come back to the midwest on occasional but now to go over some bands I've heard over the last few days. If you havn't already notice latley I've definetley have had my taste for quirky indie bands, ones who really come off different. Deerhoof who remind me of early enon gone wrong is an awesome band you can check out at Epitonic.com among many other bands. On the same boat some bands that have recently released material are Tree Wave and mixel pixel, check them out or I'll beat you senseless. There is also a band from good ol' Conneticut you should check out called Welcome, if you love quirky indie pop, these guys will consume you with their odd jazzy but electronic filled sing-a-longs with the occasional hand clappings and spelling of words.

Well now for you guys who listen to emo/hardcore and the like, I'm kinda sad Monday in London broke up, if you never picked up there first album, get it, it's damn freaking good, especially if you like Muse. If you're a Harcore kid get the new This is Hell release, it's hardcore and Daryl Palumbo makes a guest appearance what more can you ask for other than a new glassjaw album! For your Morrissey fans there is the new Ad Frank album which will supply you appetite with some nice tunes.

Well that's all for now, as usual leave your own comments with your thought on what music people should check out and I'll see you all on the next post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays NOW!load: Deerhoof - Holy Night Fever

No comments: