Monday, July 30, 2007

#29
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,

Today I want to talk about the world of ChipTune music, I'm not really super knowledgeable about it but from what I can tell it's quite popular in Japan. Basically most chiptune artist play music using Gameboys and a LSDj cartridge (gameboy sequencing program) . To hear a vast array of this type of music go to:

http://www.8bitcollective.com

Here are some of my favorite chiptune artists.

Toofu - This gy will be todays NOW!load too, I like watching his live videos it really illustrates how this all works.

I think Toofus profile really summaries the Japan Chiptune scene, but there is also a UK scene which is more laptop oriented which features non gameboy sounds mixed in with the gameboy making it definetley a different monster.

*lex2 - Well pretty self explanatory, chiptune music from the UK.

Sabrepulse - probably one of the biggest names from what I can tell in the scen judging from his plethora of tour dates Sabrepulse uses LSDj and his laptop and is the artist that was my introduction into the Chiptune world.

Thought this was an interesting music sub culture a lot of you fans of sites like ocremix.com might enjoy. Kinda makes midi remixes uninspired when you can see what these guys do.
-------------------------------------------------------
Todays NOW!load: Toofu - Live @ Shimo-Kitazawa

No comments: