Wednesday, August 08, 2007

#33
-------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys,

Time for the next entry in our tour around the world where we will stop in Indonesia, but before we do so I would like to post a link to my previous entry about my trip to the Philippines cause well I covered most of the music I'm going to cover there in that post so I though I'd just say check that entry out instead of rehashing it later.

My Post on Filipino Music

Since we'll be in southeast asia for this post I thought it'd be a good time to bring up ChannelV which is a really big Music Channel for the region that plays mainly the stuff you'd see on MTV or VH1, but it occsionally spotlights bands from around the region. Also Channel V hosts Asia Music Platform, which is a big music networking site purevolume.com but focused on southeast asia. Chec it out.

Asias Music Plaform

Now to beign talking about indonesia when I was in Manila they had a really awesome band from indonesia on the Channel V Spotlight called Nidji, they are a newer band to hit the scene but they've had a lot of success and listening to them shows you why. Here's their music video.



One of my good friends, College Professor and Anthropologist, Jeremy Wallach spent a year in Indonesia studying the music scene and from working with him over the year during my undergrad studies as a Pop Culture/marketing scholar I learned about a lot of music in the area. Jeremy Wallach is set out to publish a book about his time in Indonesia, and another one of metal music, so keep an eye out for those.

One band he spent a lot of time with was Netral, he got to spend time with them and actually show up in one of their music video where the band perform in a cage. All I could find on youtube though was this unreleased video by them, Netral is still around and has opened for such acts as Nirvana and Metallica, so check them out.



Another Artist Jeremy talked to us a lot about was Inul Daratista, a pop star who sings a style of music called Dangudt. Her "sexed" up dancing was the cause of much controversy.



well that's the basic run down on some music highlights from indonesia, I think next time we'll either do a string of central american countries or Algeria. I'll be doing this global series all of of august my normal barrage of quick quipped reviews will return in septemeber.


-------------------------------------------------------
Todays NOW!load: Dewa - Dealuva


Technorati Profile

No comments: